I have been struggling with sleeping issues for close to two years now. I probably average around 5 hours of sleep a night. I feel very blessed if I can get 6 hours...let alone the recommended 8 hours! Last night was a meager 3 hours. I hate nights like that..laying in bed..tired like crazy...knowing that I'm going to be struggling all the next day to get work done...the having to use self loathing talk of being lazy to whip my tired brain in to producing work...
Anyway I'm not going to dwell too much on my sleep issues. It's something I've lived with long enough now, that it's not really even worth complaining about. I'm depressed today because I didn't end up getting a continued contract on the commission I was working on, even though they were happy with it. Management picked a different style artist in the end. I've been waiting for the results for an extended week. It makes the rejection tougher to handle.
On the semi-bright side...this opens me up for commissions and concentrating more on my Renascence project. (which unfortunately doesn't contribute as nicely my bill related stresses >___<;;; ) BUT it does make me feel warm and fuzzy about life and art.
So here comes the shameless self promotion!!!
just a few notes about it though, because I insist on being painstakingly honest and upfront! I am very specific about how I will take commissions because I want both parties to be happy and know full well what to expect!
1. Yes, I charge almost as much for additional characters as I do for a whole single character. why? because it takes just as long to draw and paint two characters on one piece as it does two characters on two separate pieces. nothing more nightmarish than doing 5+ figures in one illustration and spending 5x more time on it because someone wanted to see all their characters but be cheap about it >_<;
2. I charge a little more than minimum wage. If these prices are too high for you, I'm truly sorry. I wish the government would pay me so I could just give everyone free art all the time. But since that's not the case, I'm delusional enough to think I am worth getting paid as much as someone who is providing any other service/trade. Please do not ask me to lower my prices for you. It makes sad puppies and kitties cry everywhere.
3. I am not taking commissions to do comic pages at the moment. I am working like a dog on the pages I'm doing now that I really don't think I can any more comics.
4. Time management is so important to me right now, that I am including a whole section about it on my commission information! Do not engage me in a commission if you are going to be out of town, waiting for a paycheck to clear or otherwise have some reason why you can't keep the progress nice, smooth and efficient. During the commission process, all steps should be resolved within 1-2 days unless otherwise circumstances are discussed. I will start updating my journal as to what dates I will be out of town or unable to check/respond to deviantart daily.
5. I don't have pencil sketches listed. You get a pencil version of the image before the final image. Otherwise just a pencil is more trouble than it's really worth. If you catch me at a convention, Ill be happy to doodle for you for free. DO NOT take advantage of my good nature and commission me halfway to get a free pencil sketch.
6. To avoid extra revisions and maintain satisfaction, I suggest taking the time to be as thorough as possible with your descriptions. Send plenty of links/references if there is something specific you have in mind.
7.Prices and process will be reminded and discussed again in emails, but are the standard to expect.
Black+White Inked- 20.00
Digital Color- 30.00
Rendered Background (B+W)- 15.00
Additional Characters (B+W)- 15.00
Rendered Background (color)- 25.00
Additional Characters (color)- 25.00
Additional Revisions- 10.00
8.5”x11” Printed Version- 10.00 shipping+handling
Prices are for 1 character with simple or no background design. All commissions include 1 revision from pencil to final image. Large complex props and monsters/animals are considered a major focal point and are treated with same time/attention as a character, thus are priced as such. Prices listed are for a 300 dpi Images for Personal Use ONLY. Other formats/use of artwork is negotiable. I prefer Pay pal ( email@example.com ), but also accept checks, money orders and well concealed cash.
1. send me a note and email with a very brief description of what you want commissioned based on my fees listed. (ex. 1 standard color image+1 additional character= $55) or if you have a request that is unique, add a longer description for what you want negotiated.
2. within 1 day i will send you a note back giving a price and the date of when I can start your project.
3. within 1 day, you send me a detailed description of what you want your image to be.
4. within 1-2 days, I will send you a pencil draft.
5. within 1 day, you will give me either approval for the final image or a detailed list of revisions. You can choose whether or not you want to see the second version for approval or not. This will add 1-2 days to the process.
6. (optional) within 1-2 days I will give you a second draft. within 1 day you will give me a second approval or agree to an additional revision fee.
8. when draft is approved, you will send a full payment within 1-2 days for the final image and notify me as to what form you are sending it. Also include what format you will to be sent the image. If requested a printed version, send a mailing address. Payment provided by snail mail and checks will have to be received and cleared before the final image is sent and will be allowed an extra week. I realize that this process requires a bit of trust from both sides. I will trust that you will not screw me over by dropping the contact after receiving the pencils. You will trust me that I will deliver the final ink/color after you pay me. I try to avoid the wait and hassle for both parties of multiple payments this way.
9. within 1-2 days of receiving payment you will receive both a high and low resolution image, either attached to your email, or provided with a link. I reserve the right to use the low resolution file in my portfolio. If you wanted a printed image, I will be sending it priority mail. Allow 3-5 days for delivery in the U.S.A.
10.within 1 day notify me that you have received your image or else I will make the assumption that you have received it. If provided a link, the link will be taken down after 1 week from when it was posted unless otherwise discussed.
**related Off*beat links**
LJ Community: [link]