continued from part 1[link]
6e. I create a new layer on the character group. I set this to overlay. I use white and a normal standard brush to create a few sparse, "shiny" highlights. I create a layer on top of my color gradient layer. I set this to hue. I use an airbrush at 10% to add more color to objects in the back ground that my general gradient does not color accurately. In this case, a warm brown to the tree trunks, a slightly more blue green to the leaves, and a warn grey to the dirt/rocks.
6f. I adjust the color of the overall image to match the scene. In this case it is a layer on top of the background layers of light brown overlay at 25% and a purple soft light on top of all the layers.
6g. I add a new layer on top of the character layers to add texture to the drakkun. This layer will be on multiply or normal at 30-60% opacity depending on the scene, scaling and texture.
6h. I add the lightning effect around it's mouth by creating a new layer on top of all the other layers. I set this to overlay. I use a scanned screen tone / comic dot pattern. Using an eraser with airbrush at 25%, I erase the pattern smoothly for the desired area and effect. I create another new layer and set it to multiply. I use a scanned screen tone pattern for speed lines.
The entire coloring process takes me about 2-4 hours depending on the page. This one was unusually quick, as the human characters with all the darn colors/details in their outfits, tend to be more tedious. This page was probably less than 2 hours to color.